Praying for the Whole World

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy Socks

Bev keeps in touch with friends who don’t live in Whitehorse through facebook. Her own daily post always includes something she calls her “Gertie Project”.

She says, "It’s named after my mother who taught me to be thankful for simple things. Each day I list on line five things for which I’m thankful. They range from the grand (eg for life and for the magestic night sky) to the mundane (eg for the smell of coffee in the morning).

One particularly cold day I said 'I’m thankful for warm fuzzy socks.' Then, on a whim, I added 'so if anyone wants to send me any, I like funky colours, so here’s my address!'

THEN my friend Irene suggested turning it into a contest. People would send me socks, at a certain date I would choose the winning pair, keep those, and give the rest to the outreach van.

So that’s what we suggested. My facebook friends were invited to play my sock game. As the socks continued to come in (over 50 pair at the cut off date, with more apparently on the way) I decided that I would like someone else to choose the winning pair, and so the Sunday School children helped to do that the first Sunday of 2010. After much discussion, a neon pink pair with red pom poms was their choice."




The idea here was to pick the most bizarre, interesting, colourful, or even hideous, pair for Bev to keep. The rest to be donated to the Outreach Van.




And, the most popular choice - the pair of 'electric' neon pink socks!



Posted by Hank

2 comments:

  1. Dear Friends,

    I'm new at this so think my first comment didn't go through. I love the winners. Did Bev wear them to church? I knew Gertie Brazier and feel this is a beautiful tribute to her. I can see her smile. I tried to get a pair of socks knit but still working on the first sock. Well at least I've learned to 'turn a heel. Best wishes to all of you in 2010.

    Judy Whitmore from chilly Manitoba




    Juddith Whitmore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment, Judy. Bev wore the socks this past Sunday, and wore other pink items as well, including a pink jacket and a watch with pink adornments. It was great fun!

    Hank Moorlag, Webmaster

    ReplyDelete